Are you struggling while using an art journal? Our team is here to solve your worries. We are here to present you a basic guide on how to use an art journal.
What is an art journal/ art diary?
An art journal is like your diary, except that it includes images, colors, and patterns. There are art journals which are filled with colors, while some have lots of written text. As an artist, your art diary is a form of innovation. There are no specific rules whilst creating/using an art journal. Each art journal tends to be unique as the artist itself.
What kind of art does an art journal have?
There are no set boundaries for an art journal. There are no bars on how to express the emotions through writing and drawing. One of the best things an artist can do to himself is to indulge in a healthy art journal routine.
Following are some art samples that you might like to create in your art diary.
Image source: Pinterest
What are the ways to use an art journal?
Here is a step-by-step guide which will give you an insight on how to use an art journal.
- Choose a diary, a sketchbook or a journal: If you don’t have any, you can always make one for yourself. You can either get a simple notebook or a fancy one. It depends on you. If you are a beginner, don’t invest in something expensive and fancy. Always focus on the quality of the paper, its texture, and the thickness. You can also find pocket journals, for the times when inspiration comes. There are several paper sizes like normal, miniature and poster. You can also buy a simple spiral bound sketchbook.
- Making an art journal: You can always experiment with your art journal. A DIY art journal is also a nice idea. You can add colors and also add something interesting to the art diary’s cover.
- The starting: You don’t need to worry about how to start. Go ahead with some doodles or anything observational. Do not worry that you will spoil the art book, then leave the first page empty. Go to the middle page or the last page.
- Trying new methods: Always remember that your art journal is your personal diary. You can always experiment with it. Don’t stop yourself from trying out new techniques. Did you watch an art video online? Try it out on the art diary. Did you see something in the latest art magazine? Try your hands on your own journal. There are days when you won’t feel like drawing. On those days, scribble and let your artistic thoughts flow.
- This YOUR ART DIARY: Do not hesitate in doodling or trying out something fun. You are a human and you are bound to make mistakes. Drawings, painting, scribbling, doodling, do everything aimlessly. Best artworks are always created accidentally.
You should always review the older work. You can also rework on an older entry and see you progressing.
Here are some of the personal entries of Mr. Rajesh Harsh‘s art journal.
If you want to get featured on our facebook page, send us your favorite entries on Contact@majesticartbyrajesh.com.
Also, read: How to make an art portfolio?